Cobble Hill, BC V0R 1L3 778-356-3306
Certifications: Chelation, Prescriptive Authority
My practice is in Valleyview Centre in Cobble Hill, 10 minutes south of Duncan on the Island Highway. For more information about who I am and what I do, please visit www.drwickland.com. Online booking and 15 minute complementary information sessions available.
I developed an appreciation for a healthy lifestyle during my childhood on Saltspring Island, BC. Inspired by a love of wholesome and delicious food, I chose to pursue a career in nutrition. After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics, I completed an 11-month dietetic internship through the Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre. Following my internship I worked as a clinical dietitian at Vancouver General Hospital in a variety of different areas including general surgery, neurosurgery/neurology, acute medicine, sub-acute geriatrics, long-term care, diabetes and renal dialysis.
During my training and work as a clinical dietitian I saw first hand both the positive and negative aspects of the conventional medical system. While recognizing that conventional medicine was well suited to resolving critical situations, I was struck by the need to have more tools to help my patients with chronic illness. After researching a variety of career options, I was impressed by the principles and scope of naturopathic medicine and enrolled in the four-year program at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine. I have had a family practice on Commercial Drive in Vancouver since January 2007. I use a wide range of therapies in my practice and enjoy the challenge of individualizing my recommendations to meet the needs and priorities of my patients. I moved to the Cowichan Valley in 2013.
I am also the chair of the nutrition department at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine and have taught clinic nutrition courses there since 2007. My courses cover treatment of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, upper and lower digestive disorders and renal disease. I firmly believe that nutrition is an evolving science and that individualizing recommendations is key.
Some of my special interests and advanced training include:
- Diabetes and insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome – comprehensive management including diet, lifestyle and OHA/insulin prescriptions
- Alzheimer's disease prevention and treatment using the Bredesen Protocol
- Preconception, pregnancy and pediatrics
- Hormonal issues including thyroid disorders, PMS, perimenopause, menopause, andropause and stress/burnout
- Depression, anxiety and chronic fatigue
- Digestive issues including ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, IBS and SIBO
- Auto-immune diseases like lupus, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis and IBD
- Detoxification – using diet, herbal medicines, drainage remedies and chelation agents for heavy metals
- Bowen therapy and homeopathic biopuncture for acute and chronic pain management